10.01.2013

unsocial media

The more I think about my online presence, the more inhuman I feel.

I have an account on almost every social media platform, short of Vine (and I'm not getting that because of issues with my phone). But having a presence doesn't mean anything. In fact, the more I look at the things I post (or rather, do not post), the more disconnected I feel with the people around me.


Do people really use social media to keep in touch with each other? Sure, I look out for posts by old friends on Facebook, check Instagram for updates from friends who are exploring their gorgeous campuses overseas, but I feel like social media promotes more narcissism than connectedness. Every post, photo, update is about my life, my opinions, my ideas, my thoughts. Me, me, me, me. And people comment on it, "like" it, reblog it. Like that even matters.

Maybe it's a generalisation that social media breeds narcissism, but I really don't feel like I'm being very sociable online. Posting things about myself doesn't engage anyone, if I think about it. Sure, people comment and like it and what not, but it's still about me. Myself. I.

I get so sick of my life these days, that I sicken of sharing it with people around me. I barely have any time alone to my thoughts, to read what I want to read, and social media requires a semblance of sharing what I think, what I want to read, what I want to eat, where I want to be.

I'm starting to ramble. It's too late to be doing this, says me as I write a post on blogger and prepare to check for last updates from twitter and Facebook. There's no time for sending pictures of my sleepy face on Snapchat.

No comments:

Post a Comment